Pre and Post aftercare advice
Please read these guidelines carefully before and after your Norseld laser treatment. If you have any questions about these guidelines, please ask your consultant as it is important that you understand these instructions in order to gain maximum benefit from your treatment. Failure to comply with these instructions may affect the outcome of your treatment and may increase the likelihood or severity of complications.
Please follow all guidelines and discuss your medical history, medications, allergies, skin typing and any tendency for bruising, scarring or poor healing with your treating clinician.
- Avoid sun-tanning or tanning creams for at least 4 weeks prior to treatment. This will also be required after treatments.
- Avoid accutane (or products containing tretinoin) for 2 weeks prior to treatment. Do not use glycolic acid or other alpha hydroxyl acid products for 1 week prior to treatment. These medications and products increase your photosensitivity, which can significantly increase the likelihood of complications.
- Avoid the use of aspirin, ibuprofen and other anti-inflammatory or blood thinning medications at least 3 days prior to treatment, as these may increase the likelihood of bruising.
We will not treat areas of skin close to open sores or skin infection.
Ensure the treatment area is completely clean and clean shaven.
If you are requesting laser treatment of a pigmented lesion (particularly if you have a family/personal history of skin cancer), you should first discuss your intended treatment and the safety of laser treatment of pigmented areas with a consultant or general practitioner.
You may have a mild sunburn (burning) sensation following treatment, which usually settles within a few hours. Skin redness is normal and may last for 1-2 weeks. There may be a slight swelling. Crusting or blistering is uncommon and not serious. Pigmented areas may begin to flake after a few days.
- Cold compress (not ice) and aloe vera type products may be useful. You may take over-the-counter pain or anti-inflammatory medication if necessary. Hydrocortisone (steroid) cream may decrease any itching or skin irritation.
- Your skin will be fragile for 2-3 days. Use gentle cleansers, do not rub the skin and avoid very hot water during this time.
- Skin moisturisers may be used immediately and make up can be applied if the skin is not broken.
- Avoid the sun and use sun block (SPF 50+) for the next 4 weeks. Do not use any other chemicals or medications on the treated area for one week.
The treatment area should be left open and uncovered. No stockings or bandages are needed. Do not scrub or exfoliate the treatment area. Do not use any other chemicals or medications on the treated area for one week.
There are no restrictions on flying after Norseld laser treatment.
Please contact us or your GP if you experience any blistering or scab formation, or if you are concerned about infection as antibiotics may be necessary. If any pigment changes are bothersome or persist beyond 4 weeks, please discuss with the team at the Manchester Vein Clinic.